Old Bennington Walking Tour » The Catamount Tavern
Marked now by a granite and copper statue placed there in 1896, The Catamount Tavern, owned by Stephen Fay was built in 1769 and burned in 1871. During the tavern's 102 years of existence it housed many important events. The name Catamount Tavern came about when Grantees from New Hampshire posted a stuffed catamount on the tavern's signpost to repel the New Yorkers who claimed their land.
The Catamount served as headquarters for the Green Mountain Boys while making their plans against the Yorkers and the British.
Ethan Allen planned the capture of Fort Ticonderoga here and John Stark planned British General Burgoynes defeat here which turned out to be successful in the famous Battle of Bennington. The Catamount was also the meetingplace of Vermont's only form of government then; the Vermont Council of Safety.